Friday, March 23, 2012

Shrimp Scampi

I've posted shrimp scampi before but I'm always evolving recipes and this is where I have ended up.  I've adjusted a traditional scampi recipe and made it light green with the addition of basil pesto.  I also often add some fresh green chili and cilantro chutney that I get from a Peruvian chicken place.  I'm obsessed with their chutney almost as much as I am with pesto, both often make appearances in omelets, pasta dishes, sandwiches and Indian dishes.  Shrimp scampi is a perfect weeknight meal as it comes together so incredibly fast.  I love that I can pull a bag of shrimp from the freezer, run it under water and have it defrosted in minutes.  


~ 1lb raw shrimp (31-40 count)
3/4 lb thin spaghetti
8-10 cloves garlic, pressed
4-6 T butter, depending on how you're feeling
1/4 c olive oil
1 t lemon zest
juice from 1-2 lemons
salt, pepper 
red chili pepper flakes, to taste
2 T fresh pesto
1 T green chutney (optional, can use jarred if desired)


Boil water, salt and toss in pasta.  Heat butter and olive oil in a pan and add lemon zest, garlic, lemon juice, chili pepper flakes, salt, pepper.  Toss in shrimp and then pesto and chutney and let this cook until almost pink.  Meanwhile drain pasta (very aldente) and toss in and let finish cooking in sauce while shrimp finish cooking.  Serve with some romano cheese dusted on top. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment